Republic F-84G Thunderjet (soon)
The Republic F-84 Thunderjet was an American fighter and ground-attack aircraft, designed at the end of World War II. It flew for the first time in 1946. It was one of the very first operational American jet fighters after the P-80 Shooting Star. Initially known as the P-84 (P for Pursuit), American designations changed in the late forties and she became the F-84 (F for Fighter). Despite a troubled development programme, later variants became a reference for fighter-bombers of the day, most notably through its participation in the Korean War. Exported to many NATO countries in the 1950s, several thousand of these aircraft were produced.
France received 46 F-84E and 270 F-84G. The first fourteen aircraft were delivered to Reims airbase in 1951 by General Eisenhower in person and equipped squadrons « Champagne » and « Navarre » of the 3rd Fighter Wing, replacing the deHavilland Vampire.
The F-84G were delivered from 1952 and equipped fifteen squadrons in total. From 1952 to 1957, these airframes were maintained by SNCASE in the workshops of Saint-Martin-du-Touch in Toulouse.
Four slightly modified F-84G equipped the official presentation flight of the French Air Force in 1953 and 1954. During an air show on the 17th of May 1953 in Algiers, the commentator - also pilot and journalist - Jacques Noetinger, named this flight the « Patrouille de France ». The general staff of the Air Force made this title the official name of the flight on the 14th of September 1953.
Ailes Anciennes Toulouse Collection